Radon in Water in Knoxville Tennessee

Friday, July 20, 2012 @ 06:07 PM
posted by admin

Waterborne Radon Treatment in Knoxville, Tennessee

knoxville radon in water
Radon is an undetectable radioactive gas that can cause cancer after long-term exposure to high levels. Radon is created underground and escapes through cracks in the bedrock. In many cases, it eventually accumulates in homes either by slipping through cracks in the basement or by dissolving into the water supply. If your Knoxville, Tennessee home is supplied by a bedrock well you may be at a particularly elevated risk for radon in water. Radon is a silent killer that goes undetected in many homes until it is too late.





How Waterborne Radon Enters the Home



Drilled wells that are deep enough to penetrate the bedrock are liable to pull a significant amount of radon into the house along with the water. Any cracks or gaps in the bedrock allow radon to dissolve into the water supply, and pose a risk to those who use that water in their homes. Water that comes from a lake or reservoir is considered surface water and is much less likely to contain radon. The radon present in surface water is usually released into the air before it reaches the pipes that pump it into a house.



Drinking water that contains radon may cause stomach cancer occasionally, but that is actually not the biggest health concern in most cases. The chances of developing stomach cancer by ingesting radon are fairly small. A much greater concern is airborne radon in water. After the radon escapes the water, you can significantly increase your risk of lung cancer by inhaling it. Any time radon in water is used inside the home, radon particles are released into the air and become breathable. 



Testing for Radon in Water



If you use a deep water well in Knoxville, Tennessee, you should take the precaution of having its water tested. The longer you are exposed to radon, the more your chances of developing serious health problems increase. Testing kits can be obtained online or at most hardware stores; however, if you do not feel comfortable performing the test yourself, you can have a technician from SWAT Environmental perform a professional version of it for you. Testing is the only way to detect whether or not your water contains too much radon, since you will not be able to smell, taste or see the substance.

Treatment for Waterborne Radon



If a radon detection test reveals that high levels of radon are present in your water supply, several options are available to efficiently remove the radon before it negatively impacts your health or that of your family. A treatment process called aeration can eliminate approximately 99 percent of all radon in the water before it even reaches your home. It achieves this by pumping large amounts of clean air into the well water and then diverting the radon-laden air outside into the open air. Other equipment may also be necessary in some cases, but SWAT’s technicians can determine how best to handle the issue in your home.

Comments are closed.